Tony kicks off his new series with a belter. Whatever emotion you’re after, whatever vehicle you pursue, whether it’s building a business, getting married, raising a family or traveling the world, there are 5 basic, universal needs that make us tick and drive all human behavior. If you are able to acknowledge these 5 human needs you will be able mange those around you more effectively as well as start to spectate on your own monkey mind. Once you know what drives somebody, you know how to meet their needs or you can predict their future needs and decide whether they are a good corporate match for you. We all have the same 5 needs (not goals - but needs), but we all value them differently. Here they are:
1. Certainty. We need to know we can avoid pain. You can get certainty by praying to God for example. Its fascinating to note that people will even give up their goals/dreams values to meet their needs. Anytime your mind perceives that doing something, believing something or doing something meets three of your needs you become addicted.
2. Significance. We all need to feel special. It is often said 'men will die for significance and women will die for love' - I think this is a fairly accurate sentiment. Most however find significance through having a significant problem. Its the safest way to connect and not be rejected.
3. Love. Many are too afraid to love as they may have loved and felt the pain of loss in the past - fear dictates their actions. We all want love, but tend to settle for 'connection'. The question in life is not if you are going to meet your needs. But how.
4. Growth. As Tony always says: Growth = Happiness. Its so true. The times Iv felt on the top of the world are always the times I have inched just that little bit closer to what I am working on. However the purpose of a goal is not in achieving the goal. Its the person you become to achieve it. What you get wont make you happy. Who you become will make you very happy or very sad depending on your approach.
5. Contribution. For this one, you have to step outside yourself. You need to fight for a cause greater than yourself. It will make you truly content to be part of systems working to better the existence of others. Try to focus on adding value in everything you do. Its incredibly powerful.
To listen to the full podcast click here.